Published Thursday, 03 October, 2013 by Harri Andrew
1. Thinly chop the chives, cube the onion and mushrooms and finely chop the basil (if using fresh)
2. Combine the mince, basil, chives, onion, mushroom, porridge oats and egg in a large bowl and mix with your hands until perfectly combined, season with a pinch of salt and pepper
3. Lightly grease a baking tray and start rolling your mince mixture into balls. (size doesn't really matter. A 500g batch often gets me around 14 small meatballs or 8 medium/large!) and place them on the tray.
4. Preheat oven to 200c and place your meatballs in the centre of the oven for 10-15 minutes or until brown and dripping.
5. Remove the meatballs from the oven and transfer them to a deep dish (i use a vegetable dish, as it's the perfect depth.)
6. Pour on your sauce. It can be any tomato based pasta sauce...I really like spicy ones :)
7. Place the dish in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. If you want, you can take it out after 10 minutes, top it with grated cheddar cheese and let it cook till the cheese bubbles. Adds some extra flavour!
8. Remove from the oven and serve.
i often serve this with pasta and some simple veggies (peas, corn, broccoli) but i've also made the meatballs small and placed them in a roll before for my own meatball marinara sammich. Either way, they're delicious!
bagels with leeks and cheese https://t.co/H9dhGTc37o
spicy tuna fishcakes https://t.co/7nYIt0YFdw
Extra tasty scrambled eggs https://t.co/DQfw5ulzOj
KuliKKi Sarbath https://t.co/rQXtkr84pB
Beef Stew and Dumpings https://t.co/g2CMwLhscI