Published Sunday, 19 July, 2009 by Clare
I make this at uni so there's no exact measurements just make it so it looks & tastes good!!
- On quite a high heat add some oil to a frying pan to warm a little before adding your sliced onion, let the onion start to brown but not burn
- When the onion is partially cooked add your minced meat and again allow to brown a little
- Turn the heat down and add your kidney beans, tinned tomatoes/bolognese sauce and about a desert spoon of tomato puree and sliced red peppers
- Add your chili powder, be careful you don't want to ruin it by putting in too much, I use half a teaspoon but add as you wish depending on how hardcore your taste buds are!
- Mix it all together and let it sit and cook for a little while so the kidney beans soften up, keep the heat low so it doesn't bubble and boil
- 20mins or so later, ta daaaaa you have your chili con carne!
- Serve with rice or spaghetti for bolognese with a kick ;)
Its easier to make this in bulk and freeze the leftovers so you've always got something in the freezer for when you want something quick and can't be bothered to cook properly, just stick it in the microwave and make sure its cooked through really well! Best to freeze it in individual portion sizes too, I find I get about 3 or 4 portions from one lot
Need a recipe for dinner?? Good! We've got one.