Published Saturday, 30 April, 2011 by LAUREN
Pre heat oven to 200C Gas 6
1. Put flour and fat into a large bowl and rub in the fat until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Using a round bladed knife stir in the cold water a little at a time until the mixture begins to come together. Use your hands to make a ball of pastry. Wrap the pastry in cling film and rest for half an hour or so in the fridge. (If this is too much trouble then buy the pastry no one will ever know!)
2. Roll out the pastry, line a tin 14" by 8"€ and bake blind for 15 minutes. Prod with a fork or fill with baking beans. Allow to cool.
3. Turn the oven down to 170C Gas 4
4. Once cool spread the pastry case with the jam of your choice. For both looks and ease of eating I suggest something red and seedless but the choice is yours.
5. Put the sugar, syrup and butter in a large pan and heat gently until the butter has melted. Give the mixture a stir and add in the cornflakes a few handfuls at a time until either the cornflakes are all added or the toffee mixture is all used up. Mix well to make sure each cornflake is sticky. I generally test this by having a quick spoonful but be careful as hot sugar burns!
6. Place the cornflake mix into the jammy tart case and press down well with the back of a spoon to compress and smooth the surface. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out and cool. When absolutely cold use a serrated knife to cut into squares.
We have the ultimate checklist for #students for #uni! Do you need that frying pan? Consult our checklist! studentrecipes.com/blog/the-ultimate-uni-checklist
It's National Burger Day today!
Try out one of these recipes from our student contributors...
Or if you're out and about see if you can track down one of these today! www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkpicturegalleries/11824896/The-worlds-best-burgers.html
Are you heading off to uni soon and panicking that you don't have all you need - fear not! We have the ULTIMATE checklist to share with you! Stay tuned!
Easy chicken (super good): Chicken with cream and veggies - healthy! http://t.co/1hI1kenTkf
The Almond peach tart: A delicious tart to eat with your housemates! http://t.co/eusX0RN5nu
Pasta - The chilean Way: Bored of pasta butter? Here comes the Tuna and tomatoes http://t.co/OlhL3F1NNR
Happy #BankHolidayWeekend everyone!
50 fantastic things to do in London this bank holiday weekend http://t.co/jv1nwSGPmR