Published Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 by Luciano Giampaglia
1) cut off leak greens (the flappy darker green bits
2) quarter the leaks length ways.
3) now dice your quarters into chunks.
4) rinse chunks in colander
5) crush your garlic under the flat of a knife, peel, then chop.
6) add enough butter/spread to coat bottom of pot on a low heat, usually around 40 grams for my pot
7) add leaks and garlic, sweat off on low to med heat till soft usually 10 mins. If they are browning, your temperature is too high.
8) while leaks sweat, peel potatoes, rinse off potatoes, dice into half inch or so cubes.
9) once leaks are sweated add all remaining ingredients, that's the stock cubes, boiling water, potatoes
10) add a sprinkle of salt(half teaspoon) and pepper to your tastes, simmer gently till potatoes are soft.
11) when potato's are soft, use potatoes masher in pan and gently pulp the potato's
12) serve, with bread if you like, enjoy, simples.
total cost of ingredients + electricity usage at 2012 rates is less than £2.50, for 6 very large portions that's 41p per serving.
its also very healthy at <400 cals per bowl and full of good things :)
prawns koliwada: crispy and yummy recipe https://t.co/APG1vwdWja
chicken salad: fruity twist on a classic https://t.co/kwZ46UPsaZ