Published Wednesday, 02 May, 2012 by Luciano Giampaglia
1) cut off leak greens (the flappy darker green bits
2) quarter the leaks length ways.
3) now dice your quarters into chunks.
4) rinse chunks in colander
5) crush your garlic under the flat of a knife, peel, then chop.
6) add enough butter/spread to coat bottom of pot on a low heat, usually around 40 grams for my pot
7) add leaks and garlic, sweat off on low to med heat till soft usually 10 mins. If they are browning, your temperature is too high.
8) while leaks sweat, peel potatoes, rinse off potatoes, dice into half inch or so cubes.
9) once leaks are sweated add all remaining ingredients, that's the stock cubes, boiling water, potatoes
10) add a sprinkle of salt(half teaspoon) and pepper to your tastes, simmer gently till potatoes are soft.
11) when potato's are soft, use potatoes masher in pan and gently pulp the potato's
12) serve, with bread if you like, enjoy, simples.
total cost of ingredients + electricity usage at 2012 rates is less than £2.50, for 6 very large portions that's 41p per serving.
its also very healthy at <400 cals per bowl and full of good things :)
We have the ultimate checklist for #students for #uni! Do you need that frying pan? Consult our checklist! studentrecipes.com/blog/the-ultimate-uni-checklist
It's National Burger Day today!
Try out one of these recipes from our student contributors...
Or if you're out and about see if you can track down one of these today! www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkpicturegalleries/11824896/The-worlds-best-burgers.html
Are you heading off to uni soon and panicking that you don't have all you need - fear not! We have the ULTIMATE checklist to share with you! Stay tuned!
Red Velvet Brownie Cocktail: Chocolate Heaven ! http://t.co/CJ1lnX5GHe