Published Friday, 10 September, 2010 by Mechelle Claire
1) Separate your eggs and add the yolks into a large bowl (keep the whites in another bowl for later)
2) Add the sugar and whisk until creamy
3) Add the mascarpone cheese into the bowl and mix well, no lumps
4) Set the bowl aside. Into a separate bowl add the egg whites and whisk until they form soft peaks (white and fluffy)
5) Slowly add in the sugar a bit at a time, whisking all the while. Whisk until firm (you should be able to turn your bowl over without the mixture moving)
6) With a spatula, carefully add the egg whites into the other bowl with the egg yolks and sugar from earlier. Carefully fold over the two mixtures, do not mix together vigorously. Keep folding until you get a creamy, smooth mixture
7) Make up the coffee into a bowl and sweeten slightly if wanted
8) Dip your sponge fingers into the coffee, not too much or they will become soggy
9) Lay your sponge fingers into a pyrex dish and top with some of the egg mixture. Sprinkle over some cocoa powder
10) Add another layer of sponge fingers and the rest of the egg mixture. Sprinkle more cocoa powder on top
11) Place the dish into the fridge for 2-3 hours
SERVE & ENJOY!!
Potatoes are super cheap. Might as well make them into an insanely tasty dish like this!