Farmhouse vegetable soup for cold winter evenings
Fantastic soup that fills you right up and
1. Finely chop the onions and cook on a low heat with some olive oil or butter.
2. Boil the potatoes, steam the carrots and leeks (if you don’t have a steamer then a colander in a large saucepan with a lid on the top works just as well…. make sure you check it hasn’t boiled dry, I have burnt many… many…many saucepans this way)
3. When the onions are brown and soft add the leeks and cook for a few mins adding some black pepper.
4. Add a pint and a half of chicken stock.
5. Dice the potato and chuck it into the saucepan with the carrots
6. Cover and simmer on a low heat for as long as you like, topping up with water if it starts to reduce.
7. Eat with crusty wholemeal bread and snuggle up on the sofa…