Published Thursday, 17 October, 2013 by Beth Bradshaw
1) pre-heat the oven to 190c, use a drizzle of oil and a bit of kitchen towel to line the deep roasting dish, then pop in the oven.
2) make the batter - put the flour in the bowl and crack in the egg, whisk, and then gradually add the milk bit by bit. Make sure the batter is lump-free and smooth, then set aside
3) fry the sausages for 5 mins on a high heat so they have a good colour.
4) take the dish out the oven, then put the sausages in the dish and pour the batter over them. Pop in the oven for around 35-40 mins.
5) in the meantime, make the mash. Chuck the carrot and swede into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cover with a lid for 20 minutes.
6) to make the onion gravy, soften the onion for around 5 minutes, then add the liquids and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. If it needs to thicken up, throw in a tsp. Of flour and whisk thoroughly.
6) the cabbage can be cooked quickly in boiling water for around 6-8 minutes.
7) once the carrot and swede are cooked, mash up with a tiny bit of butter if you like.
8) take the toad in the hole out of the oven, then drain the cabbage and serve with the mash and gravy - enjoy !
Smoked sausage pasta https://t.co/sihNziscdg
spicy pasta sauce https://t.co/7o7gH9XLVN
Tomato and sausage pasta https://t.co/Vf06NgqtHX
Pizza sandwich https://t.co/VPToKAHYpa
Creamy Cajun chicken pasta https://t.co/srWMzBeWNV