Potato Curry, Not Just For Vegetarians!
A versatile potato curry that you can combine with anything left in the fridge
It doesn’t get much cheaper than potatoes and onions, but add some more veggies if you want more nutrition. (e.G.: fry peppers with the onions in step 2, or boil some spinach with your potatoes just before you drain them).
1) put the chunks of potato into a saucepan, cover with water and boil.
2) after ten minutes, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and add the sliced onions to it. This will cook them more slowly, and make them sweet. (if you’re doing rice put some on the boil now. Use plenty of water. Perhaps a handful of rice per person.).
3) after another ten minutes transfer the potatoes to a colander to drain them, then add them to the onions. Mix it all up a bit.
4) generously coat your potatoes and onions in ground spices. Keep stirring it to get them covered all over. Cook for another minute to bring out their flavours.
5) pour in your curry liquid. Simmer for a few minutes so the liquid takes on the spices’ flavour. (grill naan bread now, if using, by splashing a little water on both sides and grilling for a minute or two on both sides).
6) serving time (drain your rice, if using)! Serve in a bowl on a bed of rice, or side by side with rice on a plate. Serve naan separately so you can rip pieces off it. Or, you know, however you want 🙂 .