Published Saturday, 23 May, 2009 by Catherine
0. When selecting your pepper, make sure you choose one with a good sturdy bottom that will stand up unassisted. Yellow ones are usually best for this.
1. Cut open your pepper at the top, around the stalk. Be careful. You should be able to just lift the stalk out with a clump of seeds attached to it and be left with a pepper-cup. Fish out any remaining seeds.
2. Put the pepper in the microwave on low power for a few minutes. This is to warm it up before the egg goes in, so the egg doesn't take as long.
3. While the pepper is microwaving, beat up two eggs in a jug. A jug is good because you're going to have to do some pouring but if you don't have a jug a cup would be fine. Add a dash of milk for fluffiness. Add grated cheese if you want (although I find that that makes it a bit too oily). Or add seasoning. I like tarragon, turmeric and paprika with eggs, or italian mixed herbs with black pepper. Or worchestershire sauce. And a pinch of salt. Anyway, mix it up really well.
4. Get the pepper out of the microwave and pour your egg mixture into it. It is probably a good idea to put it on a plate at this point. The pepper shouldn't actually leak any egg out, unless you've been very cavilier with the knife, but better safe than sorry. Immediately rinse your jug out so it doesn't turn into proper washing up later.
5. Cook it on low power for about three minutes. Don't be scared if the egg starts to rise out of the pepper in a big column -it won't topple over and this is just a sign that it is nearly ready. When you take it out, make sure it really is ready by stabbing a fork into the top. The top will cook faster than the middle so it might appear cooked while still having wet egg in the middle. But if you stab it with a fork you should be able to tell.
6. After having established that it really is cooked, you may eat it.
roasted stuffed pepper
Quick and easy and healthy breakfast for the on the go student.
This recipe is from a book about Tapas, very simple and delicious
If you have a sandwich toaster or a Lean mean grilling machine these work great