1. Put the beans, basil and butter in a pan, and cook on a low heat until the beans are hot all the way through. The more slowly you cook the beans, the better the basil flavour will infuse into the sauce.
2. Add half of the grated cheese and leave on a very low heat. If your hob doesn’t cool down very quickly, take the pan off the heat all together, or else the beans will burn.
3. Then, heat the crumpet. If you have time, i would advise you stick it under the grill for 3-4 minutes. However, you can just pop it in the microwave for twenty seconds, until the crumpet is nice and hot.
4. Place the crumpet on the centre of a wide plate/bowl and add the other half of the grated cheese. If you want, you can also add more butter.
5. Pour the beans on top of the crumpet. Hopefully, the cheese on top of the crumpet will melt.
this is perfect breakfast/hangover food, and only takes a few minutes to make. The butter and cheese make the beans taste creamy, and the basil will add a twist to the classic bean flavour. If you have a little longer, fry up some sausages or bacon.