Spicy Butternut + Sweetpotato
can be spicy or mild depending on prefrence..
1. Peel the squash and de-seed (i use a potato peeler or a knife to peel and then i cut in half and spoon the seeds out) then cut to chunks, peel the sweet potatoes and chopped them to a similar size to the squash (you want them to cook at the same rate)
2. Slice your onion, chilli and garlic and fry off in a little olive oil until the onions are softend.
3. Add your spices and fry slowly for another 5 mins or so, so as the spices infuse.
4. Add the veg and fry on a low heat moving them around the pan ensuring they’re coated with the spices.
5. Add the stock, I tend to add enough so as it covers the veg.
6. Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer.
7. Once the vegetables are soft i tend to squash them down with a potato masher and then blend either with a hand blender or transfer to a ‘jug’ blender?!? Blend to whatever consistancy you like.. I personally prefer it smooth… If its too thick i tend to add a little more stock and return to the hob warming it back up and stirring the stock in.
TIPS: If you make the soup too spicy by accident then you could add a little single cream to cool the taste..
The soup will serve 2 big people!! or 4 smaller! It all depends really on the size of the veg and stock you use..
Lots of black pepper really compliments this soup.