1) Break eggs in a bowl, add sugar and whisk well until thick, creamy and almost white in colour. The mixture should leave a trail when the whisk is removed. This step is VERY IMPORTANT, if the mixture isn’t whisked enough the cake won’t work, it will come out rubbery.
2) Lightly fold flour into mixture (best use a metal spoon)
3) Pour into well-greased 18cm. (7in.) cake tin.
4) Bake in moderate oven 180c, 35f, gas mark 4 for about 30 mins. (Avoid opening oven door during baking)
5) When cool slice and spread with Hartley’s Squeezy Jam and low-fat whipped cream.
As this cake has no fat it is very important to beat the eggs and sugar really well.
Obviously it’s easier to use an electric mixer. If you whisk by hand place the bowl over hot water to give a faster result