Published Thursday, 02 August, 2018 by Marina LaBossier
1. Pour the contents of the can of jackfruit into a strainer to get rid of the brine or water. Thoroughly rinse the jackfruit and shake the strainer to get rid of excess liquid.
2. Transfer the jackfruit into a medium sized bowl and pour in enough barbecue sauce to evenly coat the jackfruit (about ½ a cup) then cover and place in the fridge to marinate for about an hour.
3. As the jackfruit marinates, chop ¼ of an onion (or add up to ½ of an onion) and the two garlic cloves, set aside.
4. Once the jackfruit is ready remove it from the fridge. Pour about a tablespoon of vegetable oil (I use grapeseed oil) into a medium pan on medium heat. Then add chopped onion and garlic.
Sautee for 3-5 minutes then add in the jackfruit and barbeque sauce along with ½ a cup of water. (Place the bowl aside to be used later).
5. Cover and reduce heat, simmering for 10 minutes. Stir, cover, and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until a fork can easily slice through the jackfruit without picking it up.
6. Remove from heat and transfer back to the medium-sized bowl. Using a fork or mashing tool, shred the jackfruit so it resembles pulled pork.
7. Mix in smoked paprika, salt, pepper, or more barbecue sauce if you desire.
8. I usually eat the jackfruit in place of pork on burger buns, but you could use it for a variety of meals! I've used it on quesadillas, tacos, and Buddha Bowls, just get creative with it!
Check out this easy to make Cheese Steak recipe!