Published Sunday, 17 March, 2013 by Bonobosoph
1. With your hands, mix salt and oil/butter into the flour.
2. Keep adding drizzles of water while mixing until it forms a softish dough.
3. Knead for a bit until it is smooth, then cover dough with cling film and keep to one side for half an hour.
for vegetables (do this while dough is resting):
1: mash potato and green peas/beans together.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan and add cumin seeds.
3. Once seeds splutter add onions and chilli and cook until onions are soft.
3. Add ginger and stir for a minute or two.
4. Add tumeric, coriander powder and chaat masala and mix for a minute.
5. Add all the vegetables and make sure they're coated in spice mix.
keep aside in a bowl to cool down completely.
to make parathas:
1. Break dough into 8-12 equal sized balls and knead for an extra few seconds. Split filling into smaller balls of the same number.
2. Take one ball of dough, flatten and place ball of filling in the middle and fold dough over so it is completely covered. Do the same with rest of dough and filling.
3. Heat a large flat pan on medium heat, roll out a paratha gently so it's like a flat bread.
4. Cook on dry pan one one side for about a minute, flip and drizzle oil/melted butter on top while other side is cooking.
5. Keep flipping over until there is a fairly equal covering of brown spots.
cook all the parathas the same way.
goes well with ketchup, indian chutneys and plain yoghurt.